For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness2 Peter 1:5-6
In 2 Peter 1, Peter admonishes us that if we are going to be mature and fruitful Christians, then we are going to have to make it a life-long commitment to add seven qualities to our walk with the Lord.

In verse six Peter speaks of godliness. The Greek word for Godliness is eusebeia which refers to piety, man’s honor, fear or reverence for God. Well, how do we do that? We do that through Worship. There two responses to worship: private and corporate. Private worship takes the form of prayers, confessions, silence and mediation on God’s word (Romans 12:1-2).

Corporate worship - assembling together in worship (Hebrews 10:24-25) - is an affirmation of what worshipers believe and an opportunity for mutual response to the gracious actions of God. Specific times and places are very important in regards to worship.

Here’s what A.W. Tozer says about worship:
What is worship? Worship is to feel in your heart and express in some appropriate manner a humbling but delightful sense of admiring awe and astonished wonder and overpowering love in the presence of that most ancient Mystery, that Majesty which philosophers call the First Cause, but which we call Our Father Which Are in Heaven.
It’s important for Christians to realize if they are going to mature in worship and contribute to the body of Christ, it takes a consciousness decision of setting a time and place to experience both private and corporate worship. To be productive for Lord we need the both; we just can’t have one without the other.

The bottom line is this the more I grow in my private worship, the more I grow and contribute in corporate worship. The more I grow in corporate worship, the more I realize His Divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who has called us by his own glory and goodness.

PRAYER
Lord, I really want to grow in my private and corporate worship. Yet, I admit that I allow busy-ness to creep into my life and rob you of what you deserve. Help me to keep my priorities straight so that I can give you my best! Today fill my heart and life with your spirit. Allow me to be led by your Spirit even when the going gets tough. May I be your servant of mercy and love in my world today.

ONE MORE THING...
Please join us this Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 9:00 am 10:30 am as we continue our series, "War of the Worlds". I will be taking an in depth look at 2 Peter 1:3-11 with this week's focus being on the "winning the war of WORSHIP."

Blessings...

-Pastor Mike


P.S. I'd also love to get your comments and questions. You can leave a comment or question by clicking on the thought bubble below.


tags: | |
Image courtesy of Getty Images. Photographer: Tamara Reynolds. Image #: 993275-001