The Apostle Paul wrote these wonderful words to the church at Colossi:

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17)
Paul understood that every second, minute, hour, and day of our lives should overflow with gratitude for God’s goodness expressed to us through Jesus Christ. And he wasn't kidding when he wrote to the Colossians that their every word and deed should be done in thankfulness.

He must have known something that we often lose sight of. I think it is this: when our lives are immersed in gratitude to God, our attitudes become strengthened against to the natural ups and downs of life.

It is inevitable that downturns happen. Downturns upset our happy apple-carts. Downturns frustrate and anger us. But when we remember to live and breathe gratitude, it has a natural and positive effect on our attitude.

Not only this, but gratitude opens the floodgates of God’s grace. Think about it this way: God the Holy Spirit is grieved by our anger. Conversely, the Holy Spirit pours forth God’s presence and blessing in and through our praise and thanksgiving.

A few weeks ago I faced a number of very difficult challenges. Frankly, because of the circumstances, I found myself with a very negative and pessimistic attitude. In a wonderful "God moment" the Lord directed a friend to give me a call to tell me of her prayers for my family and me. She ventured to say that the Lord had directed her to encourage me to praise Him. I thought about it for a couple of minutes and gave up my stinky attitude and began to praise God. Immediately, things began to look remarkably different. Circumstances didn’t change - I changed. I also sensed God’s grace entering into every facet of my life. It was as if the clouds broke open and God’s sunshine burst through.

I want to encourage you: celebrate and enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving - feast and laugh and fellowship with your family. Then build thanksgiving into your life every day of the year. He is worthy of our praise.

PRAYER
Lord, I thank you for all of the wonderful gifts and blessing that you have given me. You are a gracious and good God who loves me with an everlasting love. Help me to cultivate a grateful heart so that even in the tough times You will find a word of thanks upon my lips.

ONE MORE THING...
Please join us this Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 9:00 am 10:30 am. This week, Ed Kaczmarek, Executive Director of the Fresno/Madera Youth for Christ, will share a message of Thanksgiving at our Youth Led Service

Blessings...





P.S. I'd also love to get your comments and questions. You can leave a comment or question by clicking on the thought bubble below. See you on Sunday!


tags: | |
Image courtesy of Getty Images. Photographer: Tamara Reynolds. Image #: 993275-001